Both the Echo Park and Edendale Libraries have some FREE special programs for kids, teens, and even some for adults all fall. Here are the November events for both libraries:
- Popcorn Pals: Enjoy a children’s movie with other kids and a bag of popcorn. Ending time is approximate. Tuesday, November 16 at 3:30 pm, Edendale Branch.
- LACMA Family Art Class: Learn about art and artists, then create your own masterpiece! LACMA hosts this weekly art workshop for school age children. Program is bilingual in Spanish and English. Thursdays at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Library.
- Art Class for Kids: Kids will learn about art from an artist from LACMA and create something new each week. For hours please call 213-250-7808.
- Bilingual Baby & Toddler Storytime at Echo Park Branch: Tuesdays at 12:30 pm
- Infant & Toddler Storytime at Edendale: Nursery rhymes, songs, and finger plays, for children 1-3 and their special grown-ups. Wednesdays at 10:00 am.
- GAB: Books come alive for kids when they share the fun of reading with GAB library volunteers. Tuesdays at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- Meditation For Teens: Stressed by school? Younger siblings getting to you? Parents bugging you? Feel like punching someone? Turn yourself into a stress-free zone through meditation This is a 4-week class. Space is limited so please sign up in advance. Every Tuesday at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- Teen Council: Make your voice heard at our next Teen Council Meeting. Choose materials, plan programs, and design publicity. Tasty snacks provided. Thursday, November 4 at 5:00 pm. Edendale Branch.
- Student Smart SAT Practice Test Follow-Up: Examine your test results and learn strategies to improve your scores with a Princeton Review instructor. Thursday, November 4 at 5:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- Student Smart Seminar, Financial Aid: Learn the steps involved and how your financial aid award affects college admissions. Parents are encouraged to attend with their high school and middle school children. Materials will be available in Spanish and English. Thursday, November 4 at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- Weave Your Own Dream Catcher: Celebrate Native American Heritage Month by creating a spiral of bright string and feathers. Friday, November 12 at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- College Club, Fall Session: For those who want to go to college… and those who thought they never could. High school and middle school students meet the first and third Tuesday each month. Topics include, Fall Session (Oct. 5 – Dec. 7): SATs, ACTs, college applications and essays; Winter Session (Jan. 18 – March 15, 2011): financial aid, FAFSA and scholarships; Spring Session (April 5 – June 7, 2011): study skills, acing tests, and college visits. Start at any time. Pizza served. Tuesday, November 16 at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- Teen Book Club: We’ll be reading The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan, sequel to our previous book club selection, The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Copies of both books will be available behind the Reference Desk, snacks provided. Thursday, November 18 at 5:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
For more information, Edendale Teens has a website! There’s a book club, film screenings, and teens get library bucks when they sign up and write book reviews (which they can use to bid on prizes at the Carnival). Click here to visit the website. Teens can sign up at the Library or by visiting the LAPL Teen Web page.
- ELFS Monthly Meetings: Join the Edendale Library Friends Society and support the Edendale Branch Library. ELFS meets once a month on the second Tuesday at 7:00 pm. Click here for the website.
- Game Day Saturday: Join us for fun and games in our community room on most Saturdays. We have many popular games; including chess, backgammon, scrabble, dominoes, and much more. This is a program for adults. Children must come with a parent or guardian. Call (213) 207-3000 for more information. Saturdays at 1:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- ELFS Used Book Sale: Join the Edendale Library Friends Society for their weekly used book sale. All sales support the library. Every Wednesday at 2:00 pm.
- Introduction to Computers at Edendale: Friday, November 5 at 11:00 pm.
- Introduction to the Internet at Edendale: Friday, November 12 at 11:00 pm.
- Introduction to Email at Edendale: Friday, November 19 at 11:00 pm.
- Online Job Searching & Resume Review at Echo Park: If you are a seasoned employee searching or a recent graduate looking for a job, this class will assist you in job searching, creating, and updating your resume. This class is by appointment. For information please call 213-250-7808.
- Computer Classes to Go at Echo Park: Join us for Computer Comfort, Computer Classes for Improving your English, and Introduction to Beginning Web Design. Individual and group classes by appointment only. For information call Nadine Flores at 213-250-7808.