On Saturday, August 14, shots were fired near Echo Park Lake, injuring one man. That same night at 12:30 am, residents heard gunshots on Echo Park Avenue near Baxter. Then yesterday (Sunday, August 15), another round of shots were fired in the 7-Eleven parking lot on Sunset Blvd. and Rosemont, injuring one man. We are all starting to wonder, what the heck is going on?
The past couple of months, there have been a noticeable surge in gunshot reports. An ambitious reader of the neighborhood blogs has put together a list of those reports we’ve read about on our neighborhood forums and websites, a list that reveals just how often these things may be occurring in the neighborhood:
- August 15 at around noon: 7-Eleven parking lot, one man injured, does not appear to be gang related.
- August 15 at 12:30 am: Residents report shots new Echo Park Ave. and Baxter
- August 14 at 1:00 pm: East side of Echo Park Lake, one man injured, likely gang related.
- August 6, 10:30 pm: Northern Echo Park Avenue (Valentine or Avalon), no one injured but no evidence of a shooting.
- July 27 at 3:30 am: Angelino Heights, 1400 block of Ridge Way.
- July 25 at 3:00 am: Echo Park Lake vicinity (Montrose St.) – shot fired during bike robbery
- July 24 at 4:00 pm: The Higher Path dispensary robbery and murder.
- July 21 at 2:00 am: Shooting outside of The Echo, three people injured.
- June 30 at 2:30 pm: Occurred Near Rosemont Elementary School, several shots fired.
- May 18 at 4:00 pm: Edgeware and Court St., gang related (one block from where 4-year-old Roberto Lopez, Jr. was killed by a stray bullet in 2009).
h/t to The Eastsider LA for keeping all of us in the know about the shootings in our neighborhood, which we love so much. Has Echo Park changed in the past 10 years? If it hasn’t will it ever?