Both the Echo Park and Edendale Libraries have some FREE special programs for kids, teens, and even some for adults all fall. Here are the October events for both libraries:
- Art Class for Kids: Kids will learn about art from an artist from LACMA and create something new each week. For hours please call 213-250-7808.
- Twinkle Time: Twinkle Time is a bilingual pop family musical that teaches children valuable lessons to original catchy tunes. Join us for this free performance. Children of all ages are welcome. Wednesday, October 14 at 3:00 pm, Echo Park Library.
- LACMA Family Art Class: Learn about art and artists, then create your own masterpiece! LACMA hosts this weekly art workshop for school age children. Program is bilingual in Spanish and English. Thursday, October 7 and 14 at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Library.
- Popcorn Pals: Enjoy a children’s movie with other kids and a bag of popcorn. Ending time is approximate. Tuesday, October 19 at 3:30 pm, Edendale Branch.
Other great activities:
- Bilingual Baby & Toddler Storytime at Echo Park Branch: Tuesdays at 12:30 pm
- Infant & Toddler Storytime at Edendale: Nursery rhymes, songs, and finger plays, for children 1-3 and their special grown-ups. Wednesdays at 10:00 am.
- GAB: Books come alive for kids when they share the fun of reading with GAB library volunteers. Tuesdays at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- Teen Council: Make your voice heard at the next Teen Council Meeting. Choose materials, plan programs, and design publicly. Tasty snacks provided. Thursday, October 7 at 5:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- Student Smart Seminar, Getting Into the College of Your Choice: Do you know what it takes to get into the most competitive universities? Do you know what your competition is like for the most selective schools in the country? This workshop will cover details about the application process, Early Decision/Early Action, and how test scores are only a part of the college selection application process. Saturday, October 16 at 2:00 pm.
- Teen Book Club: Read the horror book of your choice and we’ll meet up to discuss our terrifying selections. Gruesome grub provided. Thursday, October 21 at 5:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- Fall Film Fest: Catch a freaky flick on the big screen. Ghoulish grub galore! Thursday, October 28 at 5:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- Student Smart, SAT Practice Test: Princeton Review will administer the full-length test. Saturday, October 30 at 10:00 am, Edendale Branch. Followup on Thursday, November 4 at 5:00 pm.
- Dia de los Muertos Sugar Skulls Decorating: Create your own folk art by decorating a Mexican sugar skull to adorn your own ofrenda, or to add to the library’s Day of the Dead altar. Snacks will be served. Wednesday, October 20 at 4:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
For more information, Edendale Teens has a website! There’s a book club, film screenings, and teens get library bucks when they sign up and write book reviews (which they can use to bid on prizes at the Carnival). Click here to visit the website. Teens can sign up at the Library or by visiting the LAPL Teen Web page.
- ILCSC Program: The Independent Living Center of Southern California will present a free informational program describing services available to the public. For information call 213-250-7808. Tuesday, October 19 at 2:00 pm, Echo Park Branch.
- ELFS Monthly Meetings: Join the Edendale Library Friends Society and support the Edendale Branch Library. ELFS meets once a month on the second Tuesday at 7:00 pm. Click here for the website.
- Game Day Saturday: Join us for fun and games in our community room on most Saturdays. We have many popular games; including chess, backgammon, scrabble, dominoes, and much more. This is a program for adults. Children must come with a parent or guardian. Call (213) 207-3000 for more information. Saturdays at 1:00 pm, Edendale Branch.
- ELFS Used Book Sale: Join the Edendale Library Friends Society for their weekly used book sale. All sales support the library. Every Wednesday at 2:00 pm.
- Life Story Writing: Turn your memories into vivid writing for inner exploration, to preserve family history or to prepare for publication. Try your hand at memoir writing and fiction. Warm, supportive atmosphere. No writing experience necessary. Saturday, October 9 at 10:00 am, Edendale Branch.
- Introduction to Computers at Edendale: Tuesday, October 5 at 12:30 pm.
- Introduction to the Internet at Edendale: Tuesday, October 12 at 12:30 pm.
- Introduction to Email at Edendale: Tuesday, October 19 at 12:30 pm.
- Online Job Searching & Resume Review at Echo Park: If you are a seasoned employee searching or a recent graduate looking for a job, this class will assist you in job searching, creating, and updating your resume. This class is by appointment. For information please call 213-250-7808.
- Computer Classes to Go at Echo Park: Join us for Computer Comfort, Computer Classes for Improving your English, and Introduction to Beginning Web Design. Individual and group classes by appointment only. For information call Nadine Flores at 213-250-7808.